Our curriculum is designed to inspire each pupil to flourish academically, emotionally, socially, physically and spiritually. We have a three part curriculum:
1. The ‘academic curriculum’, “Growing our mind”
- We are educating for wisdom, knowledge and skills through our broad and exciting curriculum, which takes full advantage of our stunning locality.
- We view the love and learning of reading as the foundation for academic success.
- We aim for staff to inspire pupils, and adapt teaching to meet individual needs and overcome obstacles.
2. The ‘character curriculum’ “Growing respect for ourselves, each other and the environment”
- We are educating for dignity and respect. We help everyone to realise and take pride in their own gifts and talents.
- We encourage our pupils to explore spirituality, to become bold agents of change, and to approach the future with hope and aspiration.
- We aim to build strong and nurturing relationships with each other. We use empathy, forgiveness and reconciliation when things go wrong.
We are passionate about developing children’s character. We want our pupils to have a positive attitude to learning, think of others before themselves, and do a good deed every day. For example, we do a lot of eco work and raise a lot of money for charity.
3. The ‘enrichment curriculum’ “Going the extra mile”
- We engage in our community and live well together, with very high levels of participation and support for our families and community.
- We teach pupils about diversity and difference. We aim to partner with schools in very different communities.
- We make school fun! We are playful and provide play opportunities for pupils because that is part of learning. We have a wide range of opportunities through our clubs, sporting and musical events, trips, visits and residentials.
We live in an amazing town in an area of outstanding natural beauty, with an abundance of community groups and resources. We give back to our community and celebrate and care for our local environment, through participating in festivals, singing in care homes, taking field trips or by organising beach cleans.
We offer a wide range of curricular and extra-curricular opportunities. We provide a broader range of sporting and musical opportunities than you might expect to find in a typical primary school. We love going on trips and having visitors, and we arrange a residential experience for each year group in Key Stage 2.
For our academic curriculum, you can find our more specific approaches below. Please note: more detailed curriculum sequencing is available on request.