Budleigh Salterton Carnival: Pupils needed!
Budleigh Salterton Carnival: Saturday 29th September
We have been invited to enter a walking group to the Budleigh Salterton Carnival on Saturday 29th September 2018.
To celebrate the opening of our new Library, we would like to invite all the pupils from Year 1 to Year 6 to join our group dressed up as a favourite book or graphic novel character.
When we have had book themed dressing up events in the past, some pupils have chosen distinctive characters from books which their friends may not have read. Picking a unusual or unfamiliar character is definitely a way to stand out from the crowd!
As well as supporting a fantastic community event – there are prizes on offer for the best local walking group. If successful, the prize money will be invested in new books for our school library – and the carnival participants can help choose which books we buy!
What will you need to take part?
- A costume based upon a character from one of your favourite books or graphic novels.
- A piece of A3 card with the name of the book or graphic novel clearly written on the front – then feel free to add any decoration that you wish.
- Lots of smiles, waves and cheering to the crowds!
Where to arrive
Walking entries are to assemble at The Hub (East Budleigh Road, EX9 6HF).
When to arrive
Pupils will need to arrive for 17:45 as judging starts at 18:00 promptly. The carnival procession will set off at 19:30 so be prepared for lots of standing around!
We fully appreciate that this will mean that many pupils will be up past their normal bedtime. We have decided to invite pupils from Key Stage 1 alongside Key Stage 2, but we do not want the families of our youngest pupils to feel any pressure to attend. You know better than anyone whether your child will be able to stay up late and complete the procession!
1) Official Start will be at The Hub.
2) Along Coastguard Road and past the War Memorial
3) Along the seafront and into Fore Street
4) Continue up the High Street.
5) Turn right onto Station Road
6) Continue until Upper Stoneborough Lane where the Carnival will finish.
Pupils in Reception, Year 1, Year 2, Year 3 and Year 4 must be accompanied by an adult. Pupils in Year 5 and Year 6 may join the procession unaccompanied by an adult – see below. Parents are of course more than welcome to dress up as books characters themselves!